£50 per person – Day
£100 per person – Weekend
You can start your journey to master the art of navigation. For those of you looking at getting started in the outdoors, or those wanting to start again from a clean slate. We will look into all of the basics of map reading including some basic uses of the compass . A great introduction to the navigation skills you need to get out and about. On completion of this course, participants will be able to plan and follow walks in the countryside mainly on paths and tracks.
During the course you will learn how to –
- Understand the nature of a map as a two dimensional plan.
- Understand how to use map symbols and scales, on a variety of maps.
- Take a 6 figure grid reference for any given position and also locate such a reference on the map.
- Orientate the map with and without a compass.
- Use the orientated map to identify land features and indicate direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies and routes.
- Use linear features (e.g. paths and tracks) as handrails in simple navigation exercises.
- Estimate distance on both map and ground.
- Using a basic understanding of contours, match major landforms like hills and valleys to their map representation.
- Plan a safe, suitable walk.
- Relocate using simple techniques on paths and other handrails.
- Understand access rights and responsibilities.