£ 50 per person – Day
£100 per person – Weekend
This course is ideal for people who know the basics of navigation and would like to improve their skills.
This Map Reading course is aimed at people who are fairly confident at navigating along footpaths and bridleways but would like to develop their skills further and be confident navigating off the normal tracks in moorland and mountain enviroments.
During the course you will learn how to –
- Understand the nature of a map as a two dimensional plan.
- Understand how to use map symbols and scales, on a variety of maps.
- Take a 6 figure grid reference for any given position and also locate such a reference on the map.
- Orientate the map with and without a compass.
- Use the orientated map to identify land features and indicate direction of travel.
- Use linear features (e.g. paths and tracks) as handrails in simple navigation exercises.
- Devise a strategy for a navigational stage, to break it down into ‘coarse’ and ‘fine’ navigation and to use clear features en route to check that they are ‘on course’.
- Understand and apply the following components of a navigational strategy ‘aiming off’, ‘attack points’, ‘collecting features’, simplifying navigation, and apply them in varying terrain.
- Demonstrate an understanding of contour features, both large and small, on the map and on the ground.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the navigation physical and factors affecting route choice.
- Judge distance accurately on the map and on the ground.
- Plan a safe walk or route
- Employ simple relocation strategies when lost.
- Use a compass to follow accurate bearings and to check the direction of footpaths or other linear features on both map and ground.
Navigation Skills Advanced
Please select 1 or 2 day Navigation Course - £50 per day